Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Getting Ready...

Time is flying way too fast! This weekend I will be in Waterford, MI, for a Keepsakes Collection Folk Art and Craft show. This is my first Keepsakes show, and I am pretty excited. New creations, new venue... AND I have some fabulous display pieces I found at an estate sale that I can't wait to use! My sister went for a quick shop in the morning, and had to return to get the van - and me. Between us we filled the van, and that night we were happily perusing vintage ads and magazines from the turn of the century. What is it about faded yellow pages and quaint illustrations that are so fascinating? Not nearly as "glitzy" as ads today, I love the whimsical humor of the verbage, the faded patina of each weathered page...

I am almost awed that these humble little pages, despite their lack of glossy photos and fancy fonts, have survived for over a hundred years. It is these pages that catch my eye, not the carefully marketed and researched and produced advertisements that fill my contemporary magazines...

... and now I have a nice big pile to look at!

2 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you I just love what you do. Your work/art is just so lovely.

    Smiles,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with Becky, your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete